Increase investment and support for GPs and their teams to provide more access, proactive and coordinated care for their local communities.
To do this we will:
- support the use of online and other ways of speaking to a GP and their team so people have more access to the right support at the right time
- recruit and retain GPs and a skilled workforce to support local communities
- encourage GPs to work together in networks or larger premises so they have more cover, can share expertise and offer a wider range of services, including pharmacists.
It is better for people because:
- individuals and carers will get faster access to a GP or their team, more hours a day
- people will have more convenient ways to see or speak with a GP and their team
- people with one or more complex illnesses will benefit from more join-up between their GP, social care and hospitals.
It is better for the health and care system because:
- expertise and resources will be used more effectively
- GPs will have more time to spend with patients who need it the most
- fewer people will need to visit hospital for urgent care.
- timely access to a GP is usually the top public concern when asked about the NHS
- GP practices in NW London now offer extended opening weekday hours (8am-8pm) and weekend access to over a million people
- NW London has over 400 GP practices, but many of them are run by single GPs.
- DELIVERED: increased 8am-8pm weekday access to a GP
- fewer people having to visit A&E to get help, advice and care
- people get proactive support to prevent, stop or slow illness
- increased staff satisfaction.